Sunday, August 14, 2016

New Beginnings



It’s always been a dream of mine to begin blogging, but for years it was only just a dream. Today I was talking with my son David, who lives and works in Washington D.C. about this idea, and he said ‘Start today!’ and so here I am, finally starting!  There’s nothing like being inspired by your kids to begin a project.

I moved West from Durham to Atlanta to California this year.  But I’m not really a North Carolinian since I grew up close by in the Northern Virginia /Washington, D C metro area. I drove out to California with my dog Lucas, to be near my daughter and her wife but I never had that feeling prevelant in the 60’s that I just had to move out here.  That’s definitely something to do from my generation though!  I live just off of route 10  outside of L.A.   It is nice here --stunningly beautiful! -- and everyone is really friendly, but I’m still not used to this change yet.  I think it probably has more to do with retiring this year.  On the bright side, my daughter Ali and her wife Ximena are so close to me!

I live in a little apartment with my dog Lucas, a/k/a Lukie, who is a rescue dog. I thought he was mostly a beagle, but he definitely has that black eye-liner look  around his eyes that I see in photos of foxhounds, so he must be a mixed breed. Lucas would definitely like to go hunting, but he manages to make do with several mile-long walks each day.  That’s good for me also. Dogs are just great -- I can’t imagine life without a nice dog in it.

I’m hoping this will be a really great year of discovery of new things to do, and of writing, and of sharing ideas with people, since I’m having a little difficulty getting used to such a big geographical change this year.  Even though I moved quite far away once and lived in South America for a long time, this last move isn’t as easy as I expected it would be.  So, I thought it would be fun for me to write about making this change.

2 comments:

  1. Great first post, Karen! What an incredible year of change you've had but what an exciting one. I'm looking forward to reading more of your musings! -Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!!!!! I have been trying to start a blog myself for years now and its so nice to see someone actually doing it. I just subscribed and am looking forward to reading more about you and Lucas! Sally

    ReplyDelete